Sweet Potato SoupPrint Recipe
- ●1 teaspoon butter or vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- ●1 tablespoon olive oil
- ●1 medium onion, chopped
- ●2-3 carrots, chopped
- ●3 celery stalks, chopped
- ●3-4 cloves of garlic, rough chop
- ●2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- ●1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained *optional
- ●4 cups (1-32 ounce box) of low sodium vegetable broth
- ●2 cups of water
- ●1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ●1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- ●1/2 teaspoon cumin
- ●1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- ●freshly ground cracked pepper and salt to taste
- ●fresh parsley to garnish
In a heavy bottom large soup pot, melt butter and heat olive oil over medium high heat. Dice up onion, carrot and celery and add it to the pot. Stirring occasionally until softened about 8-10 minutes. Then add in the garlic, stirring to combine until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Next add the vegetable broth and water to the soup pot. Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and prepare the beans. Add the sweet potato cubes to the soup and turn the heat up to high until the soup begins to boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer, and simmer the soup for about 20-25 minutes, stirring a few times. Add in the *beans and spices. Continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
Soup is ready to serve as is, or if you prefer to puree it, (which I like) pulse and puree the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender. Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh parsley. Season with salt & pepper to taste and enjoy!
*The addition of the white beans will add more fiber and protein, but are completely optional. The soup is just as creamy and smooth using the pureed sweet potatoes.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes