From: Lynda Layng
A perfect way to start the day with a cup of tea or coffee. Also wonderful to pack in your child’s lunch box. Play around with reducing the sugar and enjoy these fruit and fiber filled bars.
Strawberry Oatmeal SquaresPrint Recipe
- adapted from Oh She Glows
- For Oat Base:
- ●1 ½ cups regular oats, old fashioned or quick cook
- ●1 cup whole-grain oatmeal flour (or mix of whole wheat pastry flour)
- ●1/2 tsp baking soda
- ●1/2 tsp sea salt
- ●1/2 cup Sucanat sugar (or brown sugar)
- ●1 chia egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 4 tablespoons warm water, mixed)
- ●1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Earth Balance, melted
- ●1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- ●2 tablespoons almond milk
- ●1 tablespoon sesame seeds (for topping only)
- For Strawberry Chia Seed Jam:
- ●3-4 cups chopped strawberries, finely chopped into 1/4 inch pieces OR approx 1 ½ cups pre-made jam
- ●1-2 tablespoons of honey
- ●1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ●1 teaspoon pure vanilla extrac
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan (I used a 9×9) with parchment paper and oil the sides of the pan and base.
For the jam: In a medium sized pot, add the chopped strawberries and sugar. Heat over medium until the strawberries begin to sweat and it gets a bit watery. Once it cooks down a bit, add in the chia seeds, and stir well. Bring to a low boil and then simmer over low to medium heat for at least 10-15 minutes. Once it has thickened a bit, remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes (you can pop it in the fridge or freezer to cool quicker). I like to add the mixture to a mini food processor and process it until mostly smooth.
In a small bowl, mix the chia or flax egg and set aside. In a large bowl, mix the oat base dry ingredients: oats, flour, Sucanat/brown sugar, baking soda, salt.
In a small bowl, mix the melted earth balance, maple syrup, almond milk, and chia egg. Stir well.
Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well, using hands if necessary. Set aside 1/2 cup of the dough for the topping.
Pour the oat mixture onto the square pan and press down with fingers. Use a pastry roller to smooth out if desired.
Pour on strawberry mixture and smooth out. Now sprinkle on the reserved 1/2 cup oat mixture and sprinkle on.
Now sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds or coconut.
Bake at 350F for approximately 25-30 minutes. Allow to fully cool for at least 30-40 minutes before gently removing from pan. Slice and then store in a container in then fridge to keep firm.
Preparation Time: 12-15 minutes