- ● 1/4 cup of olive oil
- ● 1/2 onion, chopped
- ● 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ● 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- ● 2-3 medium leeks, chopped and rinsed well (white & pale green parts only)
- ● 1 1/4 pounds plum tomatoes, diced (or a large can of fire roasted tomatoes works well)
- ● 1 can of tomato paste
- ● 1/2 cup dry white wine (more for drinking while you cook)
- ● 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- ● 12 ounces of pasta of your choice
- ● 1 3/4 cups of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ● a bunch of fresh basi
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, until soft.
Next add in the garlic and stir to combine.
Cook for about 1 minute until garlic is fragrant then add in the leeks. Saute leeks until soft, stirring often about 6-8 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and vinegar. Stir to combine.
Bring sauce to a boil, then lower heat back down to medium low, cover and cook; checking after 10 minutes and stirring often. Tomatoes will begin to break down and sauce will come together.
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes Chef's note: if desired you can use an immersion blender to pulse sauce and make it creamy and smooth.