Cashmere Carrot SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil *optional
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6-8 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 or 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut small
- 1 32 ounce box of low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups of filtered water
- ½ to ¾ cup of soaked cashews* (see chef note below)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- optional garnish: 1 finely grated carrot, spring sprouts or toasted chopped cashews
Start by soaking your cashews in a small bowl of filtered water. 30 minutes or longer.
Meanwhile, in a heavy bottom soup pot heat up olive oil to medium high heat.
Next add in chopped onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Sauteing for about 8-10 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
Then add in your fresh ginger, vegetable broth and water. Stir to combine and raise the heat to high. Bringing soup to a boil.
Once mixture reaches a low boil, add in cashews, stir and cover. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer, covered for 30-40 minutes.
Stirring occasionally. Carefully transfer soup into a high speed blender (in two small batches) or use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth.
Return pureed soup back into the pot and keep warm until serving. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with finely grated carrots or spring sprouts or toasted chopped cashews
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes Chef Note: cashews can be soaked 1 day before and kept in the fridge. Rinse and drain before using. Cashews give this soup a creamy smooth texture, without any dairy. Enjoy!